This Latin American and Spanish delicacy is sure to subdue the chaos of the holiday season with its cinnamon scented notes and rum spiked high. It combines the traditional sweet cinnamon flavor of Horchata with dark rum to offer up the perfect complement to your holiday gathering. An easy sipper, this Horchata will create the holiday buzz you crave, costumed in a creamy cocktail.
This wintertime cocktail offers fond memories for me. On my birthday one year, I found myself toasting with this drink in hand while on vacation in Mexico with a friend. We sat around an old wooden bar while the sound of a Mariachi band tuned in the distance as we drank this smooth, spiced cocktail. It was certainly a new tasty sensation to my lips. My first experience with this drink was one to remember as the night grew late and the Horchata continued to pour. So how could I lead you astray when I ask you to try this Horchata during this season of cool weather, comfortable sweaters and holiday parties. This creamy, milk based drink is a step away from other traditional cocktails, but again, I ask you to take a chance and try it. I know you’ll enjoy it!
Holiday Spiked Horchata
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Glassware: punch glasses
Tools skillet, blender, cheesecloth, punchbowl
1 1-inch piece Mexican cinnamon
½ teaspoon vanilla
4 oz Dark Rum
12 oz evaporated milk
freshly ground Mexican cinnamon, to garnish
1. Lightly warm the cinnamon and rice in skillet over medium heat until an aroma is present.
2. Pour contents of skillet into a blender and blend into a fine powder.
3. Add the vanilla, evaporated milk, condensed milk and water.
4. Pour over a cheesecloth into a punch bowl.
5. Place into the refrigerator until cold.
6. When ready to serve, stir in rum and serve over ice. Grate cinnamon over top of drink before serving.